AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Ms. Thorburn practices Acoustical Consulting, Technology System Engineering, and Lighting Design in the following areas:
- project management
- specification preparation
- technology needs analysis
- architectural acoustics and sound isolation
- mechanical noise and vibration control
Ms. Thorburn has served as a project manager and consultant on numerous projects. Her background covers Multimedia Presentation Requirements, Video and Teleconferencing, Computer Programming, Technical Communications, and Project and Business Management.
Ms. Thorburn’s communication skills allow her to translate technical data into a format that is both usable and understandable by the client and the rest of the design team. During the course of a project, she typically manages the overall coordination of the design process and all related procedural information. It is her responsibility to make sure that all project milestones are achieved on time. She is also responsible for ensuring that the architect and client are kept up to date on the project schedule and facilitates communication between the members of the design team.
Her experience with Computer Programming allows her to develop both efficient and cost effective technology systems and multimedia facilities.
PUBLICATIONS and LECTURES
Ms. Thorburn frequently writes technical articles on both acoustical and technology system design issues.
Published articles include:
- “China 2020: How China’s Growth and Future Will Impact Business Development in the A/E/C Industry” for the SMPS Foundation and The Marketer
- “Front versus Rear Projection Issues” in Sound and Communications magazine
- “Acoustical Terminology” in Health Facilities Management
- “Winning the Olympic City Acoustical Event” in Teleconferencing Business
Michigan Technological University
B.S. Scientific and Technical Communications Major: Computer Science and Business Administration
Board Room Design Course, NSCA, 1994
A/V Systems and Equipment course, ICIA, 1998
Essentials of the A/V Industry course, ICIA, 1998
USGBC: LEED AP
- American Institute of Architects, Affiliate Member
- Themed Entertainment Association
- Society for Marketing Professional Services
- InfoComm International