AREAS OF EXPERTISE
As a founder of Thorburn Associates, Steve has served as project manager and consultant on over 3000 different projects. He is active in projects that require acoustical consulting, technology system engineering, and lighting design services.
His dual degrees from Michigan Technological University in theatre design and electrical engineering enable him to coordinate technical requirements involved in the construction bid process with practical issues required by the end-users.
His projects have included performing arts centers, recording facilities, entertainment facilities, presentation and conference facilities, government and university buildings, film and video studios, luxury hotels, libraries, churches, and medical facilities.
Mr. Thorburn was responsible for developing the International Communications Industries Association’s Design Consultant’s Council. He regularly attends conferences, trade shows, and product exhibitions that allow him to recommend the most cost-effective yet functional products to meet his client’s needs. Manufacturers often ask for his input on the ‘next generation’ of system components.
PUBLICATIONS and LECTURES
Mr. Thorburn frequently teaches seminars and lectures on both acoustical consulting and audiovisual system design. Recent topics include:
- Planning for Classroom Technology
- Presentation Facilities Design
- Surviving the Construction Process
- Acoustics in Architecture
He is also a regular contributor to industry publication, Systems Contractor News.
Michigan Technological University
B.S. Electrical Engineering, Major: Electroacoustics
B.S. Liberal Arts, Major: Theatre and Lighting Design
Mr. Thorburn is a Registered Engineer in 22 states.
- ICIA: Certified Technology Specialist, Design and Installation
- USGBC: LEED AP
- Acoustical Society of America
- American Institute of Architects
- Audio Engineering Society
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers
- National Council Acoustical Consultants
- National Society of Professional Engineers