Thorburn Associates was hired to design the technology infrastructure, that is, locations for all the loudspeakers, projection screens, future locations for equipment racks, conduits and power requirements during the design phase of the Mountain View Senior Center. The one story new construction building near San Jose, California, in the city of Mountain View, offers diverse programs and social services to those 55 years and over.
The spaces include:
- a social hall with attached kitchen
- an exercise room
- a multi-purpose room equipped with surround sound for “movie nights”
- a computer teaching lab including a projection large screen to facilitate student learning
- an arts and crafts room
- a game room stocked with billiards tables, TV’s, tables for board games
- small meeting rooms
- a large multi-purpose room equipped with projection and sound systems for lectures, presentations and events
A paging and background music system runs throughout the building.
The intent was that the audiovisual systems would be installed as a design/build by an A/V contractor but the City of Mountain View, seeing that TA knew the facility and had worked with the Senior Center users, realized they would be best served if TA designed the full audiovisual systems. The result is better communication and a successful project.
The facility is designed with technology in use in our everyday lives to continue to facilitate and enrich senior’s lives at the highest level. From calligraphy to yoga classes, on-site health services and a community garden, Mountain View Senior Center offers challenges and social opportunities.